Red Velvet Cake with Hazelnut Pistachio Streusel
This Red Velvet Cake has been a hit with everyone. If there's one thing I would definitely change about this cake it would be to opt for natural food colouring. That aside, this cake is rich, decadent. It is spongy on the inside and melt-in-the-mouth on the outside with a rich Hazelnut Pistachio Streusel. I hear you! Won't keep you waiting. Let's get started!
For the Streusel:
50 grams Cold Unsalted Butter, diced
20 grams Hazelnuts (Lightly Roasted and coarsely ground)
15 grams Pistachios (finely ground)
4 tbsp Plain Flour
3 tbsp Brown sugar
For the Cake:
90 grams Butter (soft to touch)
2 tbsps Coconut Oil
150 grams Sugar
1 tsp Vinegar
160 grams All Purpose Flour
50 grams Almond Flour
1-2 tbsps liquid Red Food Colour
1.5 tbsps Cocoa Powder
150 grams Yoghurt
1 tsp Baking Soda
A pinch of Salt
1 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
1 tbsp hot water
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
The Streusel: This mix should be made quickly and kept to rest in the fridge. The longer you take to make the mixture, the faster the butter will melt due to the warmth from your fingers. And we want it in thick lumps not a paste nor melted.
Whisk: You can use an electric whisk or blender to beat the egg butter batter.
Make the Streusel:
- To make the Streusel take a large bowl and pour in the sugar and flour,.
- To this add the diced butter
- Use your fingers and crumble this mixture to form a breadcrumb like texture
- The mixture should be uneven and can have big and small lumps.
- Now add the nuts, mix well and place the bowl in the fridge.
Prepare the Cake Batter:
- Grease and line an 8” tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat the butter, sugar and eggs in a blender
- Add food colour, cocoa powder, and vinegar to this.
- Boil the instant coffee powder in 1 tbsp hot water. Stir, cool and strain it into the above mix.
- In a separate bowl, put in the sifted flours
- Add the yoghurt to this along with a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Now pour in the wet mixture into the flour mix and fold gently until everything is well-incorporated.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° C / 350° F
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined baking tin and even out.
- Remove the Streusel from the fridge and sprinkle all over the batter.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Start checking at 35. Do the toothpick test. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Let it cool before you cut into it.
- And that's how you bake a striking Red Velvet Cake with Hazelnut Pistachio Streusel.