Banana Date Walnut Cake
A bite of this Banana Date Walnut cake and you're transported to cake heaven. It's just right and baked with lots of love. The beauty of this cake is the flours used in it. It's predominantly Wheat flour and Almond flour and a hint of All Purpose Flour. I've used dates after many years in a cake and just four dates make it really worth every bite! If you haven't tried it yet, you should. It's moist, not too sweet and makes for a great breakfast option too. It's half bread, half cake I'd call it a "Bre-ake" Read on to see how I make it.
42 grams walnuts coarsely chopped
4 dates pitted and chopped
2 ripe bananas
100 grams butter (room temperature)
65 grams sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
95 grams Wheat flour
55 grams Almond flour
20 grams All purpose flour
1/4th baking powder
1/4th tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
- Bananas: The bananas should not be too overripe. Nor must you blend them. Just use the fork to mash in order to get a good bite in the cake.
- Flours: Make sure you lightly roast the wheat flour and cool it. Light roasting takes away the raw taste and smell.
- Sugar: The sugar is just right as the dates also lend to the sweetness. If you want it sweeter, increase the quantity of any one ingredient by a few grams i.e. either sugar or dates
- Baking Tins: You may use two mini tins or a 9" big loaf tin to bake this cake.
- Shelf Life: If the weather is not too humid, this cake will last for a day. Once baked, let it rest in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a rack to cool completely and wrap it in cling film. Keep it in a cool place at room temperature. If it remains, store in the fridge and eat by the next day.
Step 1: Cream Butter and Sugar in the blender
Step 2: Now add the eggs to the blender and blitz
Step 3: Take a bowl and mash 2 overripe bananas using a fork and set aside.
Step 4: Lightly roast the wheat flour and sift into a utensil.
Step 5: Sift into this the Almond and All Purpose flours, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt and mix well.
Step 6: Pour the batter and vanilla essence into the flour
Step 7: Add the mashed bananas, chopped walnuts and dates and mix well.
Step 8: Line and grease a loaf tin and bake at 180° C/ 350° F for about 50 - 60 minutes. Start checking at 40 minutes. The skewer should come out clean at the centre.