Prawn Chilli Fry
I've often been told off by friends that they notice me eating too many prawn dishes and to watch out for cholesterol. Truth be told, I never order or make any seafood if I know I'll be be eating alone. And this dish is so simple and delicious. It's easy to make for your loved one's. Those who love cooking know this one. Those who don't, cook this if this is your first time in the kitchen. There are two versions 1(pic below) without potato and version 2 (pic at the end of this post), with potato.
Oh yes, I have to mention this - A typical 'chilli fry' will contain onions tomatoes and chillies. Although this dish is called chilli fry because it is all about sautéing onions and tomatoes, it contains no chillies. Just a bit of pepper. Kapish?
15 small- sized prawns de-veined and washed (marinate in 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste and a pinch of salt and set aside for about 10 minutes)
Chop the following and keep ready:
2-3 medium sized onions
One bulb of garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
2-3 sprigs of coriander leaves
2 medium sized potatoes (For prawn potato chilli fry)
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp coriander powder
1tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/4th tsp chilli powder (For prawn potato chilli fry)
1/2 tsp ginger paste
Salt to taste
Oil for sautéing
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small wok
- Sauté garlic until it releases aroma and turns light brown
- Add onion and sauté till light pink
- Add ginger paste and sauté till it releases aroma
- Add tomatoes and sauté till it turns slightly soft
- Throw in the powders - cumin, coriander, turmeric and pepper
- Add (potatoes for prawn potato version or skip this step), salt, and cover and cook.
- Once done, add the prawns.
- Give it all a good stir and taste it before you add salt. If it needs more salt, do add some.
- Sprinkle coriander and turn off the heat.
Tastes great with bread or rotis. One thing I know for sure, it's hard to go wrong with this dish. The more the onions and tomatoes the tastier it gets. Don't just take my word for it. Try it. Bon Appetite!
Prawn Potato Version (Below)