Sugar Jeera Cookies
Been experimenting with these Sugar Jeera Cookies and finally satisfied with the results. When I baked them the first time, I used smaller quantities. This time around, I increased them by a few grams and tweaked a few things around. The end results are very much like your simple tea-time cookies. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. You can indulge in sweet and digest it with all the cumin in them.
100 grams All purpose flour/maida
80 grams Semolina
30 grams Custard powder (vanilla flavour)
A pinch of Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
60 grams granulated Sugar or caster
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
1 tsp Jeera/ cumin (preferred but optional)
6 tbsp Almond milk/ regular milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla essence
55 grams Coconut oil (Read the Tips)
A pinch of Jeera, sugar and a pinch of salt.
Custard Powder: When you add more custard powder, the cookies is likely to get a peachy hue. If you prefer that colour, add about 38-40 grams of powder.
Whisking: All the ingredients should be stirred in with a metal whisk gradually. Towards the end, you will have to use your hands to knead and shape them.
Oven Temperature: This one is tricky. Based on your oven and measurements. Just bake them for 5 minutes in the centre rack with the Top and Bottom coils on. Right after, change the setting to just the lower/ bottom coil on. Dough: Shape, cut and cover the dough cookies in cling film and keep dough in the fridge for 10 minutes while the oven is pre-heating.
Oil: Go slow with the pouring of oil. The dough should not be dry. It should just have a slight shine to it and should leave an oily mark on your finger when you touch the raw dough. Best to pour it in small tbsp quantities.
Jeera/ Cumin: The 1tsp Jeera mentioned is preferred if you like the flavour of jeera biscuits. If not skip adding it and just sprinkle on top once shaped.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Weigh and sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk well. Add the cumin (Read the Tips 👆🏽)
- Add the vanilla essence and almond milk and mix well.
- Add oil tbsp by tbsp (Read the Tips 👆🏽) just enough to bind the cookie dough.
- Now knead well, shape and place them on the prepared tray - Sprinkle with jeera/cumin, salt or sea salt and sugar and cover with cling film.
- Set aside in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Simultaneously pre-heat your oven for 10 minutes.
- Take out the cling film and place the tray on the middle rack
- Bake at 180°C / 350°F for 20 minutes if small sized cookies and 30 minutes or more if big cookies.
- Happy Baking!