There are days when I’m excited to make one gravy and a dry dish along with salad and rice. Then there are days when I wish we all had a magic wand and voila! (That’s why we have mothers or home deliveries). But when you don’t feel up to it, and no one in the house feels like cooking, you’re left with no option but to toil in the kitchen. So I decided to make this one pot dish a.k.a Paneer Mushroom Mixed Veg Curry. Not really one pot, it takes two to make it, but really flavourful, satiating and worth your time. Gather all your ingredients and have them sliced/ diced/ chopped/ pureed and you’re all set to make this Paneer Mushroom Mixed Veg curry.
250 gms fresh paneer diced
15-20 button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
3 orange carrots sliced
1 red onion sliced
2 red tomatoes blanched and pureed
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
A pinch of pepper powder
1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp oil/ ghee
1 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste
- Blanch the tomatoes, peel the skin and set aside to cool.
- Once cool grind the tomatoes with the cashews to make a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a frying pan. Once hot, put in the paneer pieces, lightly brown and set aside.
Now take a utensil large enough to accommodate all your ingredients.
- Start by heating 2 tbsp ghee/ oil in a pan. Add the onions and sauté till pink.
- Time to add in the carrots with 2 two tbsps of water and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put some ginger garlic paste and sauté.
- Add the mushrooms and stir till water oozes out from the mushrooms.
- To this add the tomato-cashew paste. Mix well and bring to a gentle boil.
- Throw in all the spice powders (turmeric, pepper, cumin, chilli & garam masala powders) and stir well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now add about 1/2 cup of coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add little water and figure how thick or thin you would like the gravy to be.
- Add the browned paneer and give everything a good stir, bring it all to a rolling boil and switch off the gas. You may add fresh herbs to your liking.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.