Fish Roe (Gaboli) Curry
It's rare to find fish with its roe intact in a place like Mumbai. In all likelihood, it disappears mysteriously if you are ignorant about fish and if it is carrying eggs or not. And if you're dealing with a dishonest fish vendor, you may never have the luxury of eating some good fish or fish roe. After a very long time, we had the sheer pleasure of enjoying this dish because the roe was huge and my Mum decided to make a curry out of it. This is a Hilsa/ Bhing fish roe. It was massive as you can see below. Want this recipe? Scroll down quick!
2 Roe, large
1 Tomato, large
2 Onions, medium
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste,
1 Green Chilli
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
1/2 cup thick Coconut Milk
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
Few sprigs Coriander Leaves
- Marinate roe with salt for half an hour.
- Heat little oil and shallow fry the whole roe.
- Add half cup water and boil on medium flame till dry. Remove and set aside.
- When cool slice into 1/2" to 1" pieces.
- In same pan add little oil and 1/2 tsp fennel seeds.
- When they splutter, add onions and sauté till light brown.
- Add green chilli and ginger garlic paste and sauté.
- Add all powders and sauté.
- Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame.
- Add sliced roe and mix gently. Add salt to taste and coconut milk and simmer for 10 mins. Garnish with garam masala powder and coriander. yummm!! Enjoy!
Want to try a few more popular recipes? Click on the links below: