Pomfret Curry - Green Masala
A slight change in the masala and you've set yourself up for something simply delicious. That's what this pomfret masala does to your taste buds. It's yellowish green, you can spice it up or tone it down to suit your taste. The Sun was playing hide and seek and getting the perfect lighting or picture was beyond my control! That aside, I found this recipe in some magazine many years ago and tweaked it to my liking. You should try it too.
2 medium sized Pomfrets washed, cleaned, sliced and marinated in 2 tsps of salt.
Grind to a smooth paste:
1 medium sized Tomato
2 tbsps fresh grated Coconut
1/2 medium sized Onion
1 bunch Coriander leaves
4 green Chillies
8 pods of Garlic
1/2 inch piece Ginger
Lime sized Tamarind
About 6 Fenugreek/ methi seeds
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
2 tsp Cumin seeds
For the curry set aside the following:
1/2 medium sized Onion sliced
1 green chilli deseeded
1/2 Tomato sliced
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a broad based utensil.
- Sauté the sliced onion until light brown
- Add the chilli and sauté till it turns a shade dark
- Now add the sliced tomato until it turns a bit soft.
- Pour in the ground masala paste and keep stirring until the colour changes to a darker shade and it turns a bit clumpy
- Now add water (sparingly) till you achieve your desired consistency(preferably a thick gravy)
- Add salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Time to carefully drop the fish in the boiling gravy and cook for 5 minutes as the gravy comes to a rolling boil
- Switch off the gas and cover the utensil partially with a lid.
- Seve hot with steamed rice